Identifying Future Directions and Challenges in Developing a Product or Service
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
Personal Handy-phone System (PHS)
greater Taipei region
First International Telecom
accommodate the growing number of
1. How did First International Telecom effectively respond to the increasing number of mobile phone users and frequency range?
A. By developing real-time multimedia services and popularize real-time GPS information transmission
B. by outperforming all of its competitors
C. by obtaining approval for an additional 500,000 phone numbers with the prefix 0966
2. How has First International Telecom accommodated the growing number of phone subscribers?
A. by expanding system capacity
B. by selecting various songs or dialogues to replace monotonous ring tones
C. by increasing the diversity of mobile telecommunication services
3. What does First International Telecom plan to develop?
A. a “Mobile Ring Tone” service
B. the Personal Handy-phone System for cellular phones
C. real-time multimedia services and popularize real-time GPS information transmission
4.What does First International Telecom seek to expand?
A. its value-added services
B. its vision of full coverage telecommunications
C. audio quality online
5. How many mobile phone users subscribe to the “Mobile Ring Tone” service?
A. more than 15,000
B. around 10,000
C. less than 5,000
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1. Introduce a sector or industry concerned with the development of a specific product or service.
2. Describe product or service development in detail.
3. Cite a specific application.
4. Describe future directions or potential applications of this product or service.