Explaining Difficulties in Developing a Product or Service
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
1. What do on-line gaming companies emphasize?
A. the importance of knowledge-based assets
B. the ownership of intellectual capital
C. tangible assets
2. How much in revenues did the global online gaming sector generate in 1999?
A. US$ 1 billion
B. US$ 1.5 billion
C. US$ 2 billion
3. What do conventional accounting methods lack?
A. the ability to measure the value of tangible assets that can be quantified in a company
B. knowledge-based assets
C. the ability to rate a company’s value
4. What have previous studies seldom measured?
A. tangible assets such as property, facilities and equipmentpharmaceutical sectors
B. intellectual capital
C. the value of on-line gaming companies
5. What has declined with the increasing importance of knowledge-based assets?
A. the relative importance of tangible assets
B. the relative importance of intellectual capital
C. the relative importance of scientific and technological advances
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1. Describe the general setting for developing a particular product or service.
2. Introduce the main problem(s) that managers face in developing that product or service.
3. State the implications or consequence of the problem(s) remaining unresolved.