Explaining Difficulties in Developing a Product or Service
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
1. How many credit cooperatives are currently operating in Taiwan?
2. What is at great risk in Taiwan?
A. the survival of credit cooperatives as governmental initiatives
B. the survival of credit cooperatives as financial institutions
C. the survival of credit cooperatives as financial research centers
3. What will create a serious financial crisis domestically?
A. financial organizations drawing on their personal experiences to improve their competitiveness
B. many credit cooperatives leaving behind several unresolved financial problems
C. credit cooperatives playing a pivotal role as financial institutions
4. What has increased the incidence of loan defaults?
A. adverse effects, such as banks’ lowering their criteria for loan approvals to remain competitive
B. adverse effects, such as the inability to reform and lower the rate of defaulted loans
C. adverse effects, such as the inability of financial research to directly focus on market developments
5. What is especially prevalent among credit cooperatives?
A. corporate loss among Taiwan’s financial organizations
B. turbulent political and economic situations
C. poor investments and subsequent defaulted loans
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1. Describe the general setting for developing a particular product or service.
2. Introduce the main problem(s) that managers face in developing that product or service.
3. State the implications or consequence of the problem(s) remaining unresolved.