Describing Organizational or Technical Needs
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
1. What necessitates that pharmacists remain abreast of marketing and promotional strategies to increase profits?
A. the dramatic increase in Taiwanese living standards in recent years
B. commercial practices and the national health insurance scheme
C. media emphasis on maintaining one’s health and the wide acceptance of nutritional supplements
2. Why do medical and healthcare expenditures account for an increasing share of household consumption in Taiwan?
A. the growth in daily consumption of health food products
B. the availability of consumer goods
C. growing number of purchases of health food products at pharmacies
3. What has an increase in the popularity of genetically modified foods promoted?
A. the way for a strong health consciousness
B. the way for continuous changes in retail trends
C. the way for a health food products market
4. What have Taiwanese been able to pursue more in recent years?
A. cultural interests
B. strong health consciousness
C. consumer goods
5. What have local pharmacies played a vital role in?
A. retail trends
B. direct selling channels
C. the island’s healthcare system
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1. Briefly introduce a technology sector or market niche.
2. Describe an external or internal factor affecting that sector or niche.
3. Introduce a specific problem(s) that hinders development of that sector or niche.
4. State the technical or marketing need that must be addressed to resolve this problem.