Describing Organizational or Technical Needs
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
1. What factors have contributed to growing crime rates and related convictions in Taiwan?
A. often contradictory political policies
B. the stagnant Taiwanese economy and increasing unemployment in recent years
C. overburdening governmental finances
2. Why must government spend tremendous amounts of capital to maintain the facilities and prevent crime when adopting the conventional approach?
A. since a conventionally chosen location is not close to service providers
B. since such a dangerous imbalance makes effective management almost impossible
C. since increasing unemployment and lost production have continuously reduced tax revenues
3. What will ultimately overburden governmental finances?
A. lost production and loss of foreign investment
B. hesitancy among the general population to live near such high-risk facilities
C. the inability to solve this problem in Taiwan’s correctional facilities will extract many unforeseen societal costs in the?future
4. What often involves high handling costs?
A. high incarceration rates
B. the expansion of, or maintenance of materials for, correctional facilities
C. a limited number of service providers that can deliver
5. What is partially responsible for high incarceration rates in Taiwan?
A. the dangerously low ratio of correctional facility staff to prisoners
B. insufficient resources to prevent prison rebellions
C. transition from a manufacturing-based economy to a knowledge-based one
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1. Briefly introduce a technology sector or market niche.
2. Describe an external or internal factor affecting that sector or niche.
3. Introduce a specific problem(s) that hinders development of that sector or niche.
4. State the technical or marketing need that must be addressed to resolve this problem.