Describing Organizational or Technical Needs
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
1. How does an international business center in China typically disseminate information to attract foreign investment?
A. through the World Trade Organization
B. through local governmental regulations
C. through the mass media
2. What is vital to commercial success?
A. identifying the factors that influence the location of an international business center
B. selecting sites where overseas firms can operate
C. reducing operational costs and exchanging information
3. What will increase operating costs and reduce the profit margin?
A. the inability to provide information on such topics as food, clothing and lifestyle
B. uncertainty of the investment climate and laws
C. the inability to locate an international business center efficiently
4. What factors have enabled China’s economy to grow at an annual rate of more than 9%, with external trade increasing by nearly 15% annually?
A. market liberalization and export-oriented markets
B. foreign direct investment and many multinational corporations
C. overseas investors and governmental officials
5. Why do many multinational corporations intend to move some of their operations to China?
A. because overseas firms are unfamiliar with the local language and constraints on capital
B. because globalization trends encourage foreign direct investment
C. because selecting sites where overseas firms can operate can be a complex task
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1. Briefly introduce a technology sector or market niche.
2. Describe an external or internal factor affecting that sector or niche.
3. Introduce a specific problem(s) that hinders development of that sector or niche.
4. State the technical or marketing need that must be addressed to resolve this problem.