Describing Organizational or Technical Needs
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
1. Why is there a slow growth rate of 5% among individual banks?
A. tremendous changes in the finance sector in Taiwan in recent years
B. a gradual increase in consumer demand
C. the large number of banks in Taiwan
2. What is a complex task?
A. analyzing transaction data
B. devising organizational strategies of banks
C. remain abreast of the latest market trends and opportunities in Taiwan’s finance sector
3. What are Taiwanese banks actively promoting?
A. the availability of Internet-based financial data
B. the lifetime value of consumers and long-term transaction fees
C. wealth management banking
4. What has enabled customers to remain abreast of the latest market trends and opportunities?
A. the relative inflexibility of strategies that banks offer
B. the potential contribution of wealth management practices to bank revenues
C. the availability of Internet-based financial data
5. What do many newly established banks have difficulty in doing?
A. retaining loyal customers
B. distinguishing their financial services from those of well-established banks
C. devising promotional strategies to lure new customers
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1. Briefly introduce a technology sector or market niche.
2. Describe an external or internal factor affecting that sector or niche.
3. Introduce a specific problem(s) that hinders development of that sector or niche.
4. State the technical or marketing need that must be addressed to resolve this problem.