Making Inferences from Statistics
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
1. What reflects the increasing societal acceptance of traditional Chinese medicine?
A. the growing number of technology transfers from research institutes
B. a global development strategy
C. a forecasted $US 30.5 billion by 2006
2. Why is further evaluation of existing patent laws and scope of application necessary?
A. to adopt traditional Chinese medicine in a diverse array of health-oriented products
B. to understand the clinical curative effect of components in traditional Chinese medicine
C. to involve experts across many disciplines
3. Why are breakthroughs in Chinese herbal medicine widely anticipated in the near future?
A. because of the growing number of technology transfers
B. because domestic output will probably exceed 4 billion New Taiwanese (NT) dollars
C. because of the implementation of a a global development strategy
4. How many individuals does the traditional Chinese medicine sector employ?
A. nearly 4,000
B. more than 5,000
C. more than 4,000
5. What must the Chinese herbal medicine sector effectively address?
A. a wide array of fields on a relatively small scale
B. a diverse array of health-oriented products
C. the abundance of low-quality Chinese herbal medicine
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1. Briefly introduce a market trend. 簡述市場趨勢
2. Use statistics that reflect this market trend and its impact.運用反映市場趨勢的統計結果及其影響
3. State implications of those statistics. 統計結果的運用