Making Inferences from Statistics
I. Pre-Listening Exercise
II. Listening Exercise
III. Post-Listening Exercise
Check the meanings
of the following words and expressions:
1. What percentage of Taipei’s population will become elderly in the next two to three decades?
2. When did Taiwan become an aging society?
A. in 1990
B. in 1992
C. in 1993
3. What does the World Health Organization define an aging society as?
A. When 7% of the country’s population exceeds 60 years old
B. when 7% of the country’s population exceeds 65 years old
C. when 5% of the country’s population exceeds 65 years old
4. Why have private enterprises in Taiwan significantly expanded investments into the senior citizen housing sector?
A. effective marketing policies
B. aggressive governmental policies to ensure the welfare of the elderly
C. increased demand for elderly care and tax incentive policies
5. What does Taiwan lack in comparison with other industrialized countries?
A. clear legislation and policies to ensure the welfare of the elderly
B. strong market growth for senior citizen housing and acceptance by consumers of this trend
C. a widely anticipated surge in the elderly population
Write a paragraph that makes an inference from statistics regarding a product or service by following this structure:
1. Briefly introduce a market trend. 簡述市場趨勢
2. Use statistics that reflect this market trend and its impact.運用反映市場趨勢的統計結果及其影響
3. State implications of those statistics. 統計結果的運用